With several baby showers coming up and with my new crochet skills I figured something handmade would make great gifts. But what to make? I was already in the middle of a blanket project (see Blanket of Tears) and more blankets would be too much work and take too long. Sweaters looked too complicated.
During my expeditions trolling on the internet for free crochet patterns I fell in love with amigurumi. The Japanese call these creations kawai - cute! What amazed me is these patterns are labeled easy (usually only require single crochet stitches), work up quickly and yet the results look complicated and impressive.
The octopus was my first attempt at ami. It turned out fairly well, although I struggled with large gaps from decreasing the stitches. To hide this problem I crocheted a blue circle and stitched it to the bottom so it looks like the octopus is floating in the water. It's now swimming over at Baby G's house!
The elephant is ami #2. The magic ring and decreasing through the back loops helped in addressing some of the problems I had with the octopus. Mr. Elephant now resides with Baby J.
- Patterns: Amigurumi octopus & elephant from lionbrand.com
- Yarns: Lion Wool lemongrass (octopus) & Vanna's Choice dusty blue (water & elephant)
- Hook: ?
- Lessons learned: crocheting in the round, increasing & decreasing, magic ring, half double crochet (elephant's tail)
No comments:
Post a Comment