Saturday, January 15, 2011

Reading Lists 2010

Here's my reading wrap up for 2010.  I can't say there were any stand-outs from the crochet list:

200 Stitch Patterns for Baby Blankets/Eaton
Cute Crochet for Tiny Tots/Ardley
Make One For Baby/Tippett
Simple Crochet for Cherished Babies/Davis
Tasty Crochet/Langlitz
Weekend Crochet for Babies/Whiting

Two comments about the 2010 readling list.  Through the years I suppose I have read The Bible in its entirety, perhaps mulitple times, but I have never followed through on a disciplined reading schedule.  For 2010 my husband and I decided to give it a go and follow a daily reading schedule.  At times we were more than 2 weeks behind, but not getting discouraged we kept on reading and finished it before New Years.  I would encourage anyone to try a systematic approach to reading The Bible at least once.

Gardening at Sissinghurst is a bit of a dry book about a British estate know for its gardens.  I read through it because I have a hunch that the former owner of our home was influenced by this garden (it's basically an all white garden).  I suppose a book like this should be discouraging because I'm not much of a gardener and this book is about trying to reach the pinnacle of gardening.  However, I came away very encouraged.  Here's a place with 8 full-time master gardeners and a small army of volunteer gardeners and plants still die, gardening ideas don't work out, and they eternally fight against weeds, pest and blight.  Doesn't make me feel quite so bad for ripping out over a dozen diseased rose plants with more on the watch list.

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court/Clemens (aka Twain)
A. Lincoln/White, Jr.
Creative Correction/Whelchel
Early Moon/Sandburg
English Cottage Gardening for American Gardeners/Hensel
Gardening at Sissinghurst/Lord
Instructing Your Child's Heart/Tripp
No Pretty Pictures/Lobel
Plant Life/Easton
The Bible
The Economist
The Long Walk/Rawicz
The Proverbs Driven Life/Selvaggio
Vet in the Vestry/Cameron
When Helping Hurts/Corbett & Fikkert

-The Crochet Doodler

No comments: